Sunday, April 20, 2008

Putting self-loathing joker Kissoon on warning; Inciting violence

Putting Kissoon on warning
I AM tired of seeing Freddie Kissoon referring to me in his articles. In his response to Ravi Dev on 17 April in Stabroek News, this is what he wrote:

“Did Dev have in mind those who turned their backs on the country of their birth like Dr. Randy Persaud and his brother, Walter, David Dabydeen, Rickey Singh, Vishnu Bisram and countless others who live and work in classy environments in post-modern countries and use ultra-modern washroom facilities at their work place while in Guyana…”

I don’t know why Kissoon writes such things about me or why I am an object of his “immense resentment.”

Anyway, whatever the reasons for his intense resentment, I would like to ask Mr. Kissoon to desist from making references to me in his future columns. My reason is that I believe his writing is not constructive. More often than not, it seems to be deliberately trying to aggravate people and sow conflict in Guyana. He and Sharma seem to be bedfellows. Whatever may be his problems, one thing is for sure: he has become a liability to Guyana.

Moreover, Mr. Kissoon ought to take a good look at himself in the mirror when he goes about condemning one person after another, all of whom are more qualified, successful and honorable than himself.

About turning my back on Guyana, well, destructive people like Mr. Kissoon have indeed made Guyana a difficult place to live. It makes constructive use of my knowledge and experience difficult in Guyana, and tolerates all forms of violence that are inimical to my nature. Mr. Kissoon can celebrate this achievement if he likes; that is the kind of thing he works for.

Meanwhile, I am very happy where I am and all I can say to Guyanese in Guyana is that I feel sorry for you for having to put up with a destructive person like Mr. Freddie Kissoon.

Again I would urge his boss to give him a long holiday to sort himself out. He deserves it.
Dr. Walter H. Persaud
Thailand

Those who incite violence must be dealt with
THE letter by Khushi Kumar published in the Friday’s edition of the Kaieteur News raises some important points. It questions whether the threat made on Channel 6 by a caller and repeated on three occasions was illegal. Kumar’s argument is that the call was made at a time when fear had gripped the minds of many people and therefore should be treated lightly.

Kumar seems to have more information than most since he knows that it is a 71-year-old woman who made the call. But the reason for the action as pointed out by the President and supported by two other notable persons in the broadcast media (Adam Harris and Tony Vieira) was the re-broadcast of the call.

I am not sure that Kumar heard the call, but I did. To my mind it had the potential to incite persons to commit the act, so even if that person did not commit the act she could have caused some one else to act, the fact that it was repeatedly shown made it even more volatile.

Abu Izzadeen or Omar Brooks, a British citizen, was found guilty in a British court of ‘inciting terrorism overseas’ for a speech he made at a mosque in London. He had previously heckled the Home Secretary John Reid during a speech in London. He and five others are facing the possibility of life imprisonment – that is the UK today. If something like that had happened in Georgetown, Guyana, the Opposition and all other critics would have been protesting and claiming discrimination.

It is good to forgive, but when persons are bent on leading innocent persons to commit all manner of evil due to their ignorance, they must be dealt with or there will be anarchy.
EDWARD SIMON